New technologies come and go – but while no one will miss Google+, other solutions can prove to be more difficult to replace. This might be the case with DB2 database which will be discontinued on BW/4HANA. SAP recommends to move data to SAP IQ because it is faster in reporting and provides compression of data. But even for SAP this is easier said than done – a standard migration requires a reload of data back to SAP BW, but the good old BW has its storage limits.
Migrating data between different NLS solutions – possible or not?
Moving data from one nearline storage to another NLS solution poses a complex challenge. Even SAP claims that a direct migration between two different NLS solutions is not possible (see SAP Note 2386268). At the same time, reloading data from NLS back to SAP BW and consequently re-archiving it to the new NLS solution is not feasible due to the following reasons:
Too much data cannot be reloaded back to SAP BW
Simply there is too much data archived in the current NLS database that cannot be reloaded back to SAP BW (HANA or non-HANA) because there is not enough space to hold the data.
Not enough people resources
Sequential reload of data back to SAP BW, creating new DAP’s would take too many people and system resources that are necessary for basic operations of the SAP environment.
Not enough time
Reload of data and consequently creating new DAP’s and execution of initial archiving again to the new NLS database would take too much time.
Good news – a new solution for easy data migration between NLS solutions is now available
To tackle the data migration problem, we offer a newly available solution to move data between different NLS vendors such as DB2, Informatica ILM, PBS, SAP IQ or Datavard OutBoard. This is good news for anyone looking into a new NLS solution, especially as one of the NLS vendors might no longer be supporting their product in the near future.
Datavard has extended their Storage Management technology (which is part of OutBoard DataTiering software) with the option to migrate Nearline Storage (and ADK) archives between different solutions or different NLS databases. The benefits of migration NLS data instead of re-archive and archive again are:
- Low Effort: Migration and monitoring cockpit for significant automation.
- High Speed: Migration is much faster than a reload & archive. Data is not reloaded back to SAP BW InfoProviders. No need to create new DAP’s. Automation of processing. No downtime for reporting. Parallelization to support multiple background jobs processing.
- No memory storage issues: Reload of NLS data back to SAP is not needed. Migration happens old NLS -> new NLS directly.
- Parallelization: NLS data can be migrated in one “big-bang” or sequentially InfoProvider-based, even request-based. Processing using multiple background jobs.
- All storages supported : Migration between different NLS vendors. Supported storages of new and old NLS such as SAP IQ, Hadoop, MS SQL, DB2, ORACLE, file, cloud, AWS, Azure.
No data reload necessary
If you are considering to move SAP BW NLS data or ADK archives to a new storage or vendor, you do not need to reload data back to SAP. Migration of archives into the new NLS storage is possible with OutBoard Storage Management to support faster, easier and seamless migration to the new world (Hadoop, SAP IQ, AWS, Azure…).
Learn how others did it: Shell success story
If you are interested in a direct migration between two NLS solutions, check our latest case study and learn how we managed this project for Shell – one of the biggest oil and gas companies. Click on the button below and learn how Shell managed to:
- Migrate 270 TB of archived data directly from the discontinued NLS software to SAP IQ NLS with zero downtime
- Reduce monitoring efforts, saving 2 months of work
- comply with strict deadlines