Who still remembers the time when mobile phones could only store 20 messages and 100 phone book entries? We were all excited when Nokia, Ericsson or Motorola released the latest models with 50 SMS and 200 phone book entries.
And today SMS is a relic used only by banks for PIN numbers or by delivery services for notification purposes. There are no limits anymore. According to a study by Koum, 42 billion short messages are sent via WhatsApp and 1.6 billion photos are uploaded every day. No to mention 250 million videos – and this also on a daily basis!
So, like mobile phones, Big Data has no limits. It´s just growing. With IoT and Industry 4.0 we are all going to witness the next huge avalanche. And unfortunately, physical databases and storages cannot cope any longer with this data flood.
Data management needs to be smart, intelligent and – most importantly – cost efficient. As Google and Facebook did, leveraging the power of unification, clustering, and transforming is key to unlimited but structured and high-performing data management.
Here is my action plan to run a Digital Data Transformation:
1. Draw the business-critical processes and apps and align them with your data source
2. Analyze which business processes require which set of data
3. Separate hot data (most used) from cold (non-regular) and frozen data (unused)
4. Transfer cold and frozen data to Hadoop and integrate Hadoop with your business applications at the same time
5. Enjoy the advantages of having a streamlined, optimized and high-performing data source together with the possibility to access to cold and frozen data on demand
6. Run any kind of business application in a smart and fast way
At Datavard, we can be the co-pilot on this journey and help out with best practices, smart solutions and thought leadership.